Schwerin Palace is a beautiful palace in the city of Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state, Germany. It is referred to as Schwerin Palace, Castle Schwerin, or Schloss Schwerin (in German). It is located on an island in the city's main lake, the Schweriner See. The palace started as a fort in 973 AD, and began to be transformed into a castle in 1358. It became the residence of many Dukes and Duchesses until the 20th Century.
The castle underwent multiple changes and improvements until a fire destroyed about a third of the castle in 1913. After the revolution in 1918 and the abdication of the Grand Duke, it became a museum; a seat of the state parliament; a college for kindergarten teachers; and a museum again. In 1990, it again became a seat of parliament. It has undergone massive preservation and renovation efforts ever since.
Schwerin Palace has a ghost, a diminutive 17th Century man about 3 feet tall, named Petermännchen ("little Peterman"). He can be seen at the palace as a statue, as a live character and on business signs in the city, on beer bottles, and on the beer coasters typically found in Germany.
Schwerin Palace is open to the public year-round.